- Not My Community
- The Signs
- Not Us
Why Not Us? Getting Started
You've had enough of drug addiction. You want to do something. There is no place for drugs in the North.
NOT US is a movement powered by the people. Whether you’ve come here out of desperation or curiosity, there is only one end goal: ACTION. Stand up, raise your voice, fight for your community or your brother or your mother or your daughter. Whoever you care for, you, ONE single person, can actually make a true difference. The NWT is that small, and you are a big part of it.
You know your community best. You know what the problems are. You can take action to deal with the problems in a way that will have meaning for the people in your community.
First, think about what you'd like to do. Think about healthy activities that would support kids and adults to stay away from drugs. Think about what you can do to make those things happen.
NOT US is about empowerment. Your community is unique. Your NOT US campaign will be unique. You make the decisions. You make the plans. You make it happen.
There's no "right" way to start a campaign. But you can read about other NOT US campaigns in the NWT on this website, under the NOT MY COMMUNITY drop-down menu at the top of the page. Every campaign is different. Some of the things you might want to think about doing include:
- Starting a youth group to do healthy activities.
- Holding regular meetings to talk about drugs.
- Working on projects together.
- Making posters, T-shirts, and other NOT US stuff.
- Working with other communities on NOT US projects.
The best ideas are the ones that come from you. Here are some of the things other NWT residents have done:
- Opening community halls and school gyms at night so there's always a safe place for kids and adults to go.
- Making NOT US videos and posters.
- Holding NOT US events like the Share The Load Relay.
- Talking to kids about making healthy choices.
- Setting up "buddy systems" to make sure that all kids are safe.
- Making NOT US T-shirts to show support.
You probably have other ideas that would be perfect for your community. E-mail us if you have any questions or want to talk about your ideas.